Are you in tune with your fire element? Feeling a lack of energy or purpose? Notice you’re less confident than usual or second-guessing your choices?
That could mean it’s time for you to fire it up! No need to settle for a lackluster view of your life. By activating your fire element, you could reverse the rut you’ve been in and find more creativity, drive, and commitment to reach your goals.
Enter the Fire Element
The fire element is associated with the Third Chakra, which is housed in the abdomen (yes, that means get ready for some core work!).
It is the element of change, confidence, and transformation. Much like a roaring flame, the fire element is radiant, intense, determined, and committed to lighting even the darkest night sky. This element encourages us to face our fears and go for whatever it is we seek in our lives.
One of the best ways to increase the fire element is through exercise. And, in yoga, this can be done through quicker transitions between postures, breathing techniques like breath of fire, and practicing in a heated space. Specific asanas also tap into this fiery energy, particularly those associated with the solar plexus or Third Chakra.
The fire element is the element of change, confidence, and transformation.
In terms of the physical body, the fire element governs our metabolism and digestion. A strong connection to our fire element could mean more energy or vitality and feeling light rather than sluggish or weighed down.
Practice These 4 Yoga Poses to Activate the Fire Element Within
Explore this element through your physical practice by incorporating more of the following poses in your flows!
1. Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
Fire up your quads as you breathe into this standing posture. Great to build heat and transition between different balancing poses, Chair Pose will have you burning up in no time!
How to practice:
- Begin standing with your feet together
- Draw your big toes to touch and your heels slightly apart
- Shift your weight into your heels
- Bend your knees and sit your seat back as if sitting in a chair
- Bring your arms overhead and spiral your pinky fingers toward one another or bend your elbows and “goal post” your arms to your sides
- Ensure your knees are stacked over your ankles
- Activate your core, relax your shoulders down away from your ears, and gaze forward
- Lengthen your tailbone down
- Hold for five to ten rounds of breath
For an extra challenge: Play with variations with your arms or try lifting your heels or your toes for some extra fire burn. Maybe challenge yourself to sink a bit deeper into your seat for your final two rounds of breath.
2. Navasana (Boat Pose)
Time to work the core! Concentrating on the Solar Plexus Chakra, Navasana will have you feeling energized and confident quickly so your fire element will be burning strong!
How to practice:
- Begin seated on your mat
- Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor
- Shift your weight onto your sit bones and engage your core
- Lift your chest and elongate your spine
- Lift one foot at a time off the mat
- Bring your shins parallel to the floor
- Extend your arms toward your feet
- Hold for five to eight rounds of breath, feeling the heat build in your core
For an extra challenge: Work toward straightening your legs, twisting left and right to work the obliques, or rocking between high and low Boat to really activate your lower abs.
3. Forearm Plank
This pose (and all variations like Side Plank) make me feel strong AF. Powerful and steady, Plank works every inch of your body, and challenges you to remain focused on the breath.
How to practice:
- Begin on all fours in Tabletop
- Bring both forearms down to the mat so they are parallel
- Align your elbows underneath your shoulders
- Engage your core and your thighs
- Lift your knees off the floor and walk your feet back until you make one, long line with your shoulders, hips, and heels
- Gaze down at the mat to keep length in your neck
- Maintain engagement in your core to avoid sagging or arching your spine
- Hold for three to four rounds of breath
For an extra challenge: Try alternating between Plank on your palms and forearms, going as fast or slow as you’d like to add some cardio to your fiery practice, or press back into Dolphin Pose.
4. Parivrtta Anjaneyasana (Revolved Crescent Lunge)
Yogis will often resist twists and binds because they’re both mentally and physically challenging. But this pose is perfect for stoking your internal fire! Breathe into its strength, bring softness to your face, and acknowledge your body’s capabilities in this posture as you balance, twist, and activate your core.
How to practice:
- From Downward Dog, step your right foot forward between your palms
- Stack your right knee over your ankle
- Either extend through your back leg or release your knee to the floor
- Engage your core
- Bring your hands to heart center
- Lengthen through your spine and then twist toward your right, hooking your left elbow over your right thigh
- Stay for four to five rounds of breath
- Release and repeat on the other side
For an extra challenge: Spread your arms apart from each other (with one hand on the floor and the other reaching up) or go for a bind behind your back!
Take the Fire Element Off Your Mat and Into Your Day!
Now that you’ve cultivated heat and energy, it’s time to move confidently toward your passions, ambitions, and intuition!
When creativity and drive are lacking, try rolling out your mat for a few rounds of Sun Salutations and core work. You just may find that you’ll be energized and ready to tackle the day in no time!
Craving more element power in your life? Practice some Earth Elements Yoga!